If your teenager is learning to drive (or about to start), please read on. This can be a stressful time for both of you. But don’t worry, help is at hand.
- www.safeteendriver.co.nz is a new FREE website to help parents and caregivers like you
- The resource was put together by the NZ Transport Agency in collaboration with a parent/teen relationship psychologist and an expert in driving psychology
- The website has lots of great tips to help you connect with your teenager and tools to teach them how to become a safer driver.
The Graduated Driver Licence System (GDLS) is a three-step process. So the things you need to teach your teenager will change as they progress from Learner through the Restricted phase to their Full Licence.
At the Learner stage:
- Teach them the practical driving skills (in a range of conditions and situations) using the tools on the website
- In February 2012, the restricted driving test is getting harder to encourage around 120 hours of supervised practice.
At the Restricted stage:
- Young drivers are most at risk during the first 6-12 months of driving solo
- If your teenager has friends in the car with them, they’re ten times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash
- Learn how to manage the risks using the tools on the website
- It may be convenient for you to let your teen break their Restricted Licence conditions but:
- your insurance may be compromised if they breach their Restricted Licence and cause a crash
- they could be fined $100 and receive 35 demerit points (licence suspended for three months if they get 100 or more demerit points within two years).
Your teenager still needs you
It can be hard communicating with teenagers. But you’re still a positive influence on them, even though it might not feel like it at times.
So it’s important you get involved with your teenager’s driving education and stay involved until they have a Full Licence.
Visit www.safeteendriver.co.nz to use the tools and help your teenager become a safer driver.
If you don’t have the internet, you can order hard copy resources.
For the Learner phase call 0800 772 284 to sign up to Practice.
For the Restricted phase call 0800 822 422 for a Safe Teen Driver pack.
NZ Transport Agency