skip to Main Content
Copy Of 20170421 194451 1

Harness Racing… it’s a family sport.

Year 13, WSC student Linda Pringle has been involved with harness racing since she was a young girl, and has achieved an impressive string of awards and wins.  I asked Linda to tell me a little bit about this exciting sport and her involvement with it.

Linda says… “My parents inspired me to become involved in the sport they much love and encouraged me to become a better driver. They have been involved in horse racing syndicates and owned horses for a very long time and my dad has his amateur license.  

I have also been inspired by multiple trainers over the years with their different handling techniques, as well as the bond they have with the horses.  Their huge achievements inspired me to want to be just like them and to be able to accomplish outstanding achievements in a sport I am very passionate about.

Dexter Dunn is a well known famous horse driver worldwide, he came up to me on Auckland Cup night 2014 and wished me luck, but most of all was very friendly. I then won the Auckland Cup for the Kidz Kartz and Dexter Dunn also won it for the big horses. After the race he congratulated me and said he was watching. This inspired me to want to achieve higher and become a better driver in the future. This still remains a highlight when looking back at the Kidz Kartz driving years.

I started with a club in Kumeu and was involved with Kids Kartz for around 8 years, the programme is designed for 6 to 17 years olds. After graduating from Kidz Kartz you have the choice of becoming a professional driver, where you get paid to drive as well as receiving winnings.  There is also the option to become an amateur driver which is a part time/hobby driver from the age of 18 onwards.”

Linda has decided to continue as an amateur driver, as she is still attending school and plans on going to Uni next year.  She has already got her amateur licence.  We wish you well Linda and I’m sure we will be seeing many more successes.

Linda’s achievements
Winner of the Drivers series 2014
Drivers series 2015 6th place
Drivers series 2016 5th equal
Auckland cup 4th (800m)
Winner Auckland cup 2014
Winner Auckland cup 2015
Auckland cup 2nd 2016

Winner Reharvest cup 2016
Franklin cup 2nd 2012
Winner Reharvest cup 2017
Winner Manukau cup 2017
NZ Cup Christchurch
New Zealand Cup 13th
New Zealand Cup  11th
New Zealand Cup 2nd
Kumeu Club races
Winner Kumeu Cup ponies under 10.2h 2013
Winner Kumeu Cup ponies over 10.2h 2016
Winner Kumeu Cup ponies over 10.2h 2017
Winner Last Chance Cup 2014
Winner Waiheke beach races trophy 2013

Club Awards
Supreme driver award 1st 2014 & 2016 & 2017
Most improved driver 2013
2nd place point 2015 equal & 2013
Achievement award 2010-11

Back To Top