News from the International Department

O week

Diversity is one of the key values at Western Springe College.  To celebrate the international diversities at the school, at O week, Gavin Yang and Liya Yang Nightingill, our international student leaders for 2021, set up a stall decorated with international flags.  They gave out a lolly or a small international snack to students who could correctly answer internationally related questions including identifying each country’s national flag.  They attracted a lot of students to their stall.

I shifted from another school to Western Springs College this year.  I first heard about the school from my aunt, who has lived in NZ for a long time and works as an international education agent.  I got interested in the school as it is similar to my old school in Vietnam in terms of non-uniform policy and open plan classroom setting.  I am happy to be at Western Springs College as the relationships among the international students are good here.  I also like how we work together in class through discussing and exchanging our ideas.  I think the teamwork in class is good.  The teachers are helpful as well.  They let us be in charge of learning and expand our knowledge instead of them teaching only what is written in the books.

Since I came to Western Springs College, I think my English skills have improved.  I have also learned how to use Photoshop and how to draw digitally.
After I finish high school, I want to study Design at AUT as I want to be a house designer.  When I was younger, my mother took me to a museum.  I was so impressed by the unique house designs displayed there that I started to be interested in designing houses.  I like the design on Level 3 at Westfield New Market Shopping Centre.

International Student’s Story
Quynh Nhi (Angela) Mai (Year 12) from Vietnam

Angela’s birthday party with her grandmother
and her counsins in February this year

Back To Top